[openstack-dev] Spam of patches (was: [trove][neutron][cinder][swift][ceilometer][nova][keystone][sahara][glance][neutron-lbaas][imm] stylistic changes to code, how do we handle them?)

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue Jan 12 14:32:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 12 2016, Amrith Kumar wrote:

> My question to the ML is this, should stylistic changes of this kind be handled
> in a consistent way across all projects, maybe with a hacking rule and some
> discussion on the ML first? After all, if this change is worthwhile, it is
> worth ensuring that this construct that we are seeking to eliminate, does not
> reenter the code base.

This is not stylistic, these are actual changes that can break the code
for no good reason. I've already -2'ed the Ceilometer one.

Honestly, this kind of change are getting more and more a problem to us.
People invent a false bug, maybe report it to LP and mass-assign
projects, and then spam all the projects without any discussion before.
The worse thing is that most of these patches are wrong or incorrect,
add code-churn that just pollutes project history for no benefit.

At the beginning, I had hope, and was being patient and tried to mentor
these new people with the hope that they'll learn and stick around. None
stayed. Is it just a "get me an free ATC pass" behavior, like someone
suggested?

Now the spam amount is getting so high (several of these patches per
week these days) that I can't afford to be so patient and gentle
anymore, and I just -2 the patch with a brief explanation. I also have
to use the "mute bug mail" feature of Launchpad a lot, since I get
spammed by all the changes done the mass-assigned Launchpad bugs.

So, how what can we do to fix that? It seems we're not communicating
proper behavior on how to jump into OpenStack to contribute and that
those "contributors" are not used to FOSS communities.

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker