[openstack-dev] [oslo][osdk] PrettyTable needs a home in OpenStack

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Mon Jan 11 17:43:03 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 11 2016, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> I suspect we could skip porting a lot of those, since they look like
> clients and we're working to move all command line programs into the
> unified client.

Not really in the telemetry roadmap honestly. But we could move away
From prettytable without much burden anyway.

> There are a few server projects, and I assume they are using the
> lib in their management commands.  I'm sure there are shell scripts
> out there parsing the rendered tables.  Does tabulate produce tables
> using the exact same format as PrettyTable?

We barely use it in Gnocchi, it could be easy to switch to something
fancier. Back then, we just picked PrettyTable because every other
project was using it and it was good enough for a quick CLI.

> We could justify moving cliff, since it makes it easy to produce
> more parsable output using selectable formatters, but some of those
> other consuming projects may be a bit harder to change if we want
> to maintain our backwards compatibility requirements.

I think that's a good idea, gnocchiclient and aodhclient already rely on
cliff for example, and ceilometerclient should switch at some point.

> There are a few libraries on the list, too (automaton, ironic-lib), and
> that's confusing. It would be interesting to know how they're using
> table output.

automaton uses it for its verbose mode, it's just 2 lines to change… :)

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
/* Free Software hacker