[openstack-dev] [doc] DocImpact vs. reno

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Jan 11 15:37:11 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Lana Brindley's message of 2016-01-11 14:31:17 +1000:
> On 09/01/16 14:07, Tom Fifield wrote:

> >> Yes, because then it would be the responsibility of the project team to
> >> ensure there is enough info before passing it onto the docs team.
>
> I'm willing to try this, if the defcore teams approve.

> >> Nearly all of those changes have been triggering release notes at this
> >> point. They are all changes the user needs to adapt to because they
> >> potentially impact compatibility.
>
> Wow. That'll make the release notes process painful this round ... o.O

Can you clarify what you're worried about here? The point of the
new tool is that once the note is added to the patch with the code,
there is no more manual work to do to publish it.

> > Would love it to be the case, but I don't think that's correct. Or if it's supposed to be correct, it hasn't been well communicated :)
> >
> > Few random reviews from the DocImpact queue that didn't have relnotes:
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/180202/
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/249814/
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/250818/
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/230983/
> >
> > Didn't really look closely into these - would encourage someone with a bit more time to do so, but the fact that these were so trivial to eke out means that "nearly all" is almost certainly a bad assumption.

There was a period of time early on where we were still rolling out the
tool that notes may not have been written. Each project team was
supposed to go back and review commits made prior to turning reno on to
see if they needed notes, and to commit them separately. Has that been
done here?

Perhaps one way to take advantage of both tools is to have the DocImpact
validation look inside the commit and require a release notes file? That
way the reviewable portion of the commit is not in the message, but we
can still require some description of why DocImpact was added.

Doug