[openstack-dev] [oslo][osdk] PrettyTable needs a home in OpenStack

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Jan 11 14:58:19 UTC 2016

On 11/01/16 11:15 +0100, Victor Stinner wrote:
>Le 11/01/2016 10:37, Thierry Carrez a écrit :
>>Joshua Harlow wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>So I'd def help keep prettytable going, of course another option is to
>>>move to https://pypi.python.org/pypi/tabulate (which does seem active
>>>and/or maintained); tabulate provides pretty much the same thing
>>>(actually more table formats @
>>>https://pypi.python.org/pypi/tabulate#table-format ) than prettytable
>>>and the api is pretty much the same (or nearly).
>>>
>>>So that's another way to handle this (just to move off prettytable
>>>entirely).
>>
>>This sounds like a reasonable alternative...
>

>IMHO contributing to an actively developped library (tabulate) seems
>more productive than starting to maintain a second library which is
>currently no more maintained.
>
>Does anyone know how much code should be modified to replace
>prettytable with tabulate on the whole OpenStack project?
>
>--
>
>I don't like the global trend in OpenStack to create a new community
>separated from the Python community. In general, OpenStack libraries
>have too many dependencies and it's harder to contribute to other
>projects. Gerrit is less popular than Github, and OpenStack requires
>to sign a contributor agreement. I would prefer to stop moving things
>into OpenStack and continue to contribute to existing projects, as we
>already do.

I wouldn't see this as "OpenStack just likes to create new communities
because why not?". IMHO, the fact the OpenStack community is willing
to take on libraries and help maintaining them is a good example of
good open source behavior. We use the library, the original author
doesn't have time and we have resources to help.

We are not the ones using this library and this is the way we have to
contribute to it. We're giving the library a home. If someone is
willing to take the library on outside of OpenStack, then fine. I'm
all for that. I just don't have the time myself.

That said, I also think consuming tabulate would be a good solution
but again, I don't have time to help with the migration. Therefore,
until that happens, I'm concerned that we don't have a way to fix bugs
and contribute to the current library we're using, which is
prettytable.

If the switch happens and we all pass to tabulate, then we can
re-evaluate whether keeping prettytable under the OpenStack tent makes
sense.

Flavio