[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][upgrade] Grenade multinode partial upgrade

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Jan 11 12:11:22 UTC 2016

Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just a quick update where we are:
>>>
>>> Increasing the verbosity of the SSH session into the instance that is
>>> created during the cinder portion is showing that we are actually
>>> connecting to the instance successfully. We get the dropbear SSH banner,
>>> but then the instance hangs. Eventually SSH terminates the connection, 5
>>> minutes later.
>>>
>>> http://logs.openstack.org/35/187235/12/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/984e651/logs/grenade.sh.txt.gz#_2016-01-08_20_13_40_040
>>
>> As per [1], could be related to mtu on the interface. Do we configure
>> MTU on external devices to accommodate for tunnelling headers?
>>
>> As per [2] neutron server logs, the network in question is vxlan.
>>
>> If that’s indeed the mtu issue, and since Cirros does not support DHCP
>> MTU option documented for ml2 at [3], I don’t know how to validate
>> whether it’s indeed the issue.
>
> UPD: ^ that’s actually not true, cirros supports the option since 0.3.3
> [1] (and we use 0.3.4 [2]), so let’s try to enforce it inside neutron and
> see whether it helps: https://review.openstack.org/265759

UPD: seems like enforcing instance mtu to 1400 indeed makes us pass forward
into tempest:

http://logs.openstack.org/59/265759/3/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/a167a59/console.html

And there are only three failures there:

http://logs.openstack.org/59/265759/3/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/a167a59/console.html#_2016-01-11_11_58_47_945

I also don’t see any RPC versioning related traces in service logs, which
is a good sign.