[openstack-dev] [celery][taskflow] Reg. celery and task-flow

Greg Hill greg.hill at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Jan 8 21:42:08 UTC 2016

I'm opinionated because I work with/on Taskflow and had mostly bad
experiences with Celery, but here's my $0.02.  It's possible that the
codebase I inherited just made bad use of Celery or things have improved a
lot in the last 18 months, but all I can speak from is my own experience.

Taskflow and Celery at a high level can be used for the same thing, but if
anything Taskflow would be considered a replacement for Celery, IMO.  We
migrated a codebase from Celery to Taskflow because Taskflow gives you a
lot more capabilities related to managing the whole process rather than
just a bunch of individual async tasks.  Some still swear by Celery
because they like that they can just throw some decorators on existing
methods and execute them asynchronously, and if that's all you need,
Taskflow is probably overkill.  For us, we wanted a lot more control over
the whole flow, including how to handle task failures, being able to run
many things in parallel and others in serial, etc. Just conceptually
thinking of the process as a series of tasks in a flow makes it a lot
easier to reason about what is going on than having to trace throw a bunch
of asynchronous functions. We also liked the resiliency guarantees that
Taskflow's job board and conductor/worker engine provided more than what
Celery had at the time (it didn't seem to guarantee that tasks were
executed, and we had fairly often where rabbitmq connections would time
out and our process would just not continue, no log, no error, just the
next task was never executed).

Greg