[openstack-dev] [Nova][Glance] Nova + Glance_v2 = Love

Sam Matzek matzeksam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:14:47 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Sam Matzek <matzeksam at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> already. There's a spec merged[0] and code written[1] to allow for
>> using cinder as backend for Glance.
>>
>> If there's a missing functionality for the mapping users require, I
>> believe activating empty images is not the solution for it.
>>
>> [0] https://review.openstack.org/183363
>> [1] https://review.openstack.org/166414
>>
>>> The callers could supply 1 byte of junk data, like a space character,
>>> but that would result in a junk image being stored in Glance's default
>>> backing store for the image.  It would also give the impression that a
>>> real disk image exists for the image in a backing store which could be
>>> fetched, which is incorrect.
>>>
>>> If I remember correctly Glance V2 lets you transition an image from
>>> queued to active state with size = 0 if the image is using an external
>>> backing store such as http.  The store is then called to fetch the
>>> size.  Would it be possible to allow Glance to consider images with
>>> size = 0 and the block_device_mapping property to be "externally
>>> sourced" and allow the transition?
>>

>> In v2 you can create an image and then add a location for it (this
>> should be enabled, of course). You can even use cinder locations since
>> Kilo (or Havana?).
>
> I don't believe Cinder backing store / Cinder locations can work for
> the Nova use case here.  In the case of this use case, Nova snapshot
> of Cinder backed VM, Nova creates Cinder snapshots of every attached
> Cinder volume and puts the snapshots in a BDM list in the Glance
> metadata, and moves the image to Active with size = 0 and no volume.
>
> This inherently creates an image that is pointing at a collection of
> multiple image binaries (Cinder snapshots) that collectively make up
> the "image".  For example the Cinder snapshots could be snapshot0 =
> boot disk, snapshot1 = application binaries, snapshot1 = DB volume 1
> snapshot2 = DB volume 2.
>
> I may be wrong, but my understanding of multiple location support in
> Glance is that the multiple locations are intended to all contain
> copies / mirrors of the same image binary (singular), and the image
> consumer, say, a Nova virt driver, could look at the locations and
> make the best choice of location based on its settings for ephemeral
> disk backing, etc.  If this is the correct understanding then the
> multiple locations support using Cinder the Cinder backing store to
> reference multiple Cinder snapshots of different Cinder volumes is not
> a good fit.
>
> Now possibly a compromise could exist where in the "snapshot volume
> backed VM" flow, Nova changes to set location of the Glance image to
> be the Cinder snapshot of the boot disk / root BDM, and then puts the
> non-root BDM volumes in the block_device_mapping image metadata.
>
> This would make the image non-empty and would use the Cinder backing
> store for the boot disk while maintaining the existing functionality
> of having the image refer to the other Cinder snapshots in the block

I sent the previous reply a bit prematurely.  In order for my idea
above to work, to have the Glance image use a Cinder location /
backing store for the boot disk in this case, the Cinder backing store
[1] needs to be enhanced to support Cinder snapshots as well as Cinder
volumes.
[1] https://github.com/openstack/glance_store/blob/master/glance_store/_drivers/cinder.py