[openstack-dev] [Nova][Glance] Nova + Glance_v2 = Love

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 15:12:52 UTC 2016

On 08/01/16 14:45 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 10:01:45AM -0430, Flavio Percoco wrote:

>> >Nova uses this functionality when it creates snapshots of volume
>> >backed instances, that is, instances that only have Cinder volumes
>> >attached and do not have an ephemeral disk.
>> >In this case Nova API creates Cinder snapshots for the Cinder volumes
>> >and builds the block_device_mapping property with block devices that
>> >reference the Cinder snapshots.  Nova activates this image with size=0
>> >because this image does not have a disk and simply refers to the
>> >collection of Cinder snapshots that collectively comprise the binary
>> >image.  Callers of Glance outside of Nova may also use the APIs to
>> >create "block device mapping" images as well that contain references
>> >to Cinder volumes to attach, blank volumes to create, snapshots to
>> >create volumes from, etc during the server creation.  Not having the
>> >ability to create these images with V2 is a loss of function.
>>
>> I disagree. Being able to activate empty images breaks the consistency
>> of Glances API and I don't think it should be considered a feature but
>> a bug. An active image is an image that can be used to *boot* a VM. If
>> the image is empty, you simply can't do that.
>
>NB if an empty image is associated with a kernel/initrd image then it
>could conceptually still be bootable, as the VM could run entirely from
>content contained in the initrd, or the initrd might have activated
>some network accessed root device. Whether this works in practice
>with glance empty images though I don't know. Just from a conceptual
>POV, images don't need to contain any content at all.

Mmmhhh... I was indeed missing something. Philosophically speaking,
though, the image is not really empty but pointing to two other
images, which is basically what happens when we point to a data stored
somewhere.

What's perhaps missing is a formal way to associate the image with a
kernel/initrd image and have it become active.

Hope it makes sense,
Flavio

--
@flaper87