[openstack-dev] [all] re-introducing twisted to global-requirements

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 23:28:38 UTC 2016

On 01/07/2016 06:12 PM, Ben Meyer wrote:
> On 01/07/2016 03:32 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

>>> We'd be using this for functional tests, not unit, where we can't really
>>> inject mocks. The idea is that we could run a full functional suite
>>> against either mimic or a full ironic environment, just by changing a
>>> test setting.
>>
>> I don't really see the point of a separate project like Mimic that has
>> a whole bunch of reimplementations (mocked out) of all sorts of
>> OpenStack (and RAX-specific) API services. It's just a great way to
>> introduce a larger surface area for bugs to creep in -- since you have
>> to keep the Mimic interfaces up to date with the real interfaces.
>> Better to keep something like this -- if it is TRULY needed -- in-tree
>> with the API service itself, so that the chances of divergence are
>> reduced. This is similar to the fakevirt driver in Nova. It's in tree
>> for good reason: when someone changes the virt driver interface, the
>> fakevirt driver goes boom and needs to be changed in a corresponding
>> fashion in the same patch.
> A tool like my OpenStackInABox could certainly benefit from the models
> or services being provided by each project - aside from the complexity
> that that adds to the installation of installing all the dependencies
> related instead of just implementing a simple model with a file and
> sqlite backend that has minimal dependencies...but I digress as I
> haven't looked at how nova's fakevirt driver installs so may be that's
> not as big an issue. I'll certainly look at it for use in
> OpenStackInABox, but even there I'm aiming for a more complete scenario
> where you can interact with Keystone, Nova, Swift, etc...(e.g auth
> against a fake Keystone, use the token with the fake nova which
> validates it against the same fake Keystone instance, same with a fake
> Swift...).

But your fake Keystone wouldn't be "authing" anything at all. Your fake
Nova wouldn't be "validating" anything at all.

You aren't *functionally* testing anything of importance above if the
things you are testing aren't doing what they are supposed to do.

The only things you are functionally testing are the *clients* to those
fake HTTP services. And what you are *actually* validating the client
code for isn't *actually* the real HTTP API service -- it's a fake which
can have its own surface area for bugginess -- which takes me back to my
original question: what value does one get from *functional* tests of a
client that calls a faked-out HTTP API versus *unit* tests of said
client that simply uses requests-mock (or similar) to set the returned
value of the HTTP API service to some expected value?

>> What value does a functional test against an HTTP API service that
>> does nothing (other than introduce greater surface area for bugs)
>> actually offer over unit tests anyway?
>
> So to use Nova's fakevirt your project is limited to the same language
> as nova - python, correct?

Nova's fakevirt driver simply does NOOP calls for most things and some
light in-memory bookkeeping of resources that a normal virt driver
would, in reality, consume from the host. It's a way we have to "test"
launching many instances in Nova without actually having those instances
consume resource on the host.

> The main advantage of mimic is that it is language agnostic and multiple
> moving parts (f.e taskflow) can interact with it.

See above point about what value this has over unit testing with mocked
response payloads. If you're looking for speed of testing a client, you
aren't going to beat mocking out the HTTP response payload.

Best,
-jay