[openstack-dev] [nova] Testing concerns around boot from UEFI spec

Thu Jan 7 20:19:59 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-01-07 at 18:03 +0000, Yuhong Bao wrote:
> James Bottomley <James.Bottomley at ...> writes:
> > As you can see, they're mostly expired (in the US) but the last one
> > will expire in 2020 (if I calculate the date correctly).
> If you are referring to US6286013,

That's the latest expiring one, yes.

> I read the patent and it looks like UEFI or for that matter any non
> -Windows implementation of FAT would probably not infringe on the
> patent.

Well, I'm not going to give you a legal opinion.  However, most people
think this patent covers the long vs short filenames conversions used
by vfat.  The UEFI implementation definitely implements the long vs
short name conversions for FAT/VFAT compatibility.

James