[openstack-dev] [all] re-introducing twisted to global-requirements

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Thu Jan 7 19:09:32 UTC 2016

Hi all,

A change to global-requirements[1] introduces mimic, which is an http
server that can mock various APIs, including nova and ironic, including
control of error codes and timeouts. The ironic team plans to use this
for testing python-ironicclient without standing up a full ironic
environment.

Here's the catch - mimic is built on twisted. I know twisted was
previously removed from OpenStack (or at least people said "pls no", I
don't know the full history). We didn't intend to stealth-introduce
twisted back into g-r, but it was pointed out to me that it may appear
this way, so here I am letting everyone know. lifeless pointed out that
when tests are failing, people may end up digging into mimic or twisted
code, which most people in this community aren't familiar with AFAIK,
which is a valid point though I hope it isn't required often.

So, the primary question here is: do folks have a problem with adding
twisted here? We're holding off on Ironic changes that depend on this
until this discussion has happened, but aren't reverting the g-r change
until we decide one way or another.

// jim

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/220268/