[openstack-dev] [neutron] How could an L2 agent extension access agent methods ?

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Wed Jan 6 10:18:38 UTC 2016

Rossella Sblendido <rsblendido at suse.com> wrote:

> On 12/17/2015 05:07 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
>> We may probably think of passing agent uuid into extensions to allow it
>> to be used as a cookie for their flows, and make sure extensions are
>> triggered before we reset obsolete flows in the agent. It may work.
>>
>> I would only want to see it as a temporary solution. One thing that I
>> would like to tackle with the proposal is keeping our main flow tables
>> clean from extension specific flows, if anything, for easier debugging.
>
> I agree with you here. Let's pass the uuid as a temporary solution. This
> will buy us some time to iterate on the extensions flow tables proposal
> and get it working. In the meanwhile the subprojects that install flows
> won't be blocked.

So the first piece to allow extensions to play nice with OVS agent graceful
restart is uploaded, namely the spec: https://review.openstack.org/263819

We’ll consider the major flow table rework as proposed in the thread as a
second phase with a separate spec based on top of the one I pasted. The
rationale of the staged approach is to unblock folks that need to set their
flows. The rework will obviously take some time and probably will span to
the next cycle.

I think David was going to test the approach similar to what is proposed in
the spec, to see whether it would be enough to make restarts graceful for
extensions; I will also work on implementation more in line with the
proposal in parallel with spec approval to boost things.

Ihar