[openstack-dev] [kolla] Adding Ubuntu Liberty to Kolla-Mitaka

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 5 23:02:51 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-05 20:01:13 +0000 (+0000), Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
> I wish I could help you, but I have no idea how to add a new base
> image to the infrastructure system. I know when I worked at Red
> Hat, we had have a full time engineer work on it for 9 months
> before Fedora was added.
[...]

Also, that was for being able to test things which only run on
Fedora. Since "testing Debian" is not the _stated_ goal (as far as I
know), there are other incremental ways to get started designing and
running these package build jobs on images for platforms we already
have working today: i.e. (c)debootstrap that Debian Sid chroot on
Ubuntu Trusty, install a pbuilder or sbuild DEB from a Debian
mirror, etc.

I've gotten very tired of pointing out that Thomas has come at this
under the assumption that he must start with a Debian-based system
to host these jobs, but if they're going to generate/update/archive
a chroot anyway then it seems less critical that someone solves
getting Debian worker images built by Nodepool before he can make
progress on what he actually wants to accomplish. In fact, our
worker image builds (for Fedora, CentOS, whatever) happen in
distro-specific chroots created on an Ubuntu Trusty server anyway...
three cheers for diskimage-builder!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see someone maintaining Debian
images in Nodepool for us too, but Thomas _could_ be working on
writing and testing jobs today that are "close enough" instead of
complaining about how nobody has time to build an ideal environment
for him before he can even get started.
--
Jeremy Stanley