[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Deprecating ConfKeyManager (fixed-key key manager)

Farr, Kaitlin M. Kaitlin.Farr at jhuapl.edu
Mon Jan 4 15:46:04 UTC 2016

> The fixed key manager is useful for easy testing (we're using it in the
> gate in places where barbican isn't available). Is there anything
> equivalent with Catellan?
>
>         -Sean
>
> --
> Sean Dague
> http://dague.net

There is no fixed-key back end with Castellan. I agree that using a
fixed key makes for very easy testing, but the tests use a
configuration (ConfKeyManager) that should not be used in deployment.
The tests could be made much more useful if they used a more realistic
configuration (Barbican).

Adding a gate that tests using DevStack with Barbican enabled would
be a more valuable than the existing tests for two reasons:

 1. ConfKeyManager could be removed.
 2. It would test the feature configured more closely to how a
    deployment would actually look.

As part of this change to deprecate ConfKeyManager and integrate
Castellan, I would like to add this new gate.

 -Kaitlin