[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Versioning of the fwaas API

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Sat Jan 2 22:23:15 UTC 2016

I was on Twitter and got linked to this blog post[1], and then got
linked over to Terraform's docs, and of course I went and checked out
its support for OpenStack.

Well, what do you know? It has support for Firewall[2]! Yay!

Based on the fact that we have a spec for a v2 API - the question
becomes - how do we not break all this?

I see that LBaaS went the route of

v1 api = "/lb"
v2 api = "/lbaas"

https://github.com/openstack/neutron-lbaas/blob/master/neutron_lbaas/extensions/loadbalancer.py#L32

https://github.com/openstack/neutron-lbaas/blob/master/neutron_lbaas/extensions/loadbalancerv2.py#L34

So - I guess we take the same route with FwaaS - maybe have the endpoint
at "/fwaas" and then hopefully we can implement microversioning[3]? That
way, we never have to make another endpoint like "/firewall" if we come up with a v3 API in the 2020s.

[1]: http://tech.paulcz.net/2016/01/openstacks-and-ecosystems/

[2]: https://terraform.io/docs/providers/openstack/r/fw_firewall_v1.html

[3]: http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/kilo/implemented/api-microversions.html

--