[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Mon Feb 29 19:02:34 UTC 2016

On 02/29/2016 03:19 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:

>>> 3. Losing the main summit as an excuse to fund devs travel
>>>
>>> Some developers are sent to the Design Summit only because the main
>>> summit is happening at the same time and wouldn't get funding to attend
>>> a specific event.
>>
>> If you have to pretend to attend the Summit to be able to attend the
>> Design Summit instead, there is deception involved. I'd suggest to
>> have a frank talk with your employer on where the most value lies for
>> you in attending which event. We also have the Travel support program
>> to cover the gaps.
>
> Well, not all companies are platinum or gold Foundation sponsors and
> some are contributing to OpenStack with very little budget commitment
> apart human resources.
> While one could claim the opportunity to ask their company to increase
> their budget, my guts is that the vast majority will just be unable to
> get that and will be veto'ed.

Other organizations, even the big names in sponsorship, have multiple
layers of management in which the people setting travel policy are not
the people leading the commitment to OpenStack (*cough*IBM*cough*). In
other words, travel to events is not counted as part of the business
support for OpenStack. So the issue doesn't only affect small companies
with tiny budgets.

--

-- Ed Leafe