[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Mon Feb 29 18:18:51 UTC 2016

On 02/22/2016 12:35 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Clayton O'Neill wrote:
>> Is the expectation that the ops mid-cycle would continue separately,
>> or be held with the meeting formerly known as the Design Summit?
>>
>> Personally I’d prefer they be held together, but scheduled with the
>> thought that operators aren’t likely to be interested in work
>> sessions, but that a good number of us would be interested in
>> cross-project and some project specific planning sessions.  This would
>> also open up the possibility of having some sessions specific intended
>> for operator/developer feedback sessions.
>
> I'll let Tom comment on that, but the general idea in the strawman
> proposal was that the Ops "midcycle" event would be preserved as a
> separate event, but likely turn more and more regional to maximize local
> attendance. The rationale was that it's hard for ops to justify
> traveling to a contributors-branded event, while they can more easily
> justify going to the main OpenStack Summit user conference event, and to
> regional Ops gatherings.
>
> But things are still pretty open on that front, so let's see what the
> feedback is.

We actually had a good chat about one recognized event vs. regional
events at the feedback session at the Ops Meetup in Manchester.

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/MAN-ops-feedback

I'm speaking up here because I chaired the session, I'm open to
correction on my points from Tom or other Ops folks in attendance.

The benefit of having one recognized event in Manchester is that folks
came to attend from all over the world. We had people from Australia,
China, Japan, Africa, all over Europe, Canada and the US. Having one
moving recognized event means that some folks can only attend every few
years rather than every release, however the benefit is that when the
event is in your geographical region you have folks from other places
coming to you. This cross-pollination would be lost if regional events
replaced one recognized event.

If we call the one recognized Ops event per release one name, currently
it is Meetup: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Operations/Meetups then
there is nothing standing in the way of folks having other local events
if they want to set them up. Currently OpenStack Days are the
acknowledged local event which brings together operators, devs, users
and any other interested audience who might get some benefit from
OpenStack Days.

https://www.openstack.org/community/events/openstackdays?awesm=awe.sm_xkBj

A region could have as many OpenStack Days as they wish (as far as I
understand it) which would satisfy some "gathering-per-release" criteria
for some folks while ensuring one geographically moving recognized event
happened for operators so the benefit from global focus still happens.

Thank you,
Anita.