[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Clayton O'Neill clayton at oneill.net
Mon Feb 29 13:20:18 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 4:32 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> That was considered... and I would not necessarily be against it, but I
> would like to understand what the benefit would be. Tom advocated for
> keeping it as a separate event (or a set of regional separated events) that
> would be ops-branded, making it easier for ops to justify travel to it. If
> the goal is to co-locate so that users can more easily participate to the
> contributor-oriented event, I think that would be counter-productive for
> most operators: as I said earlier those are project team meetings for
> project team members to work together -- you should only join a room if you
> consider yourself part of the team that will do the work. We won't be
> rediscussing requirements or gathering feedback there, those will have been
> discussed at the strategic planning sessions at the summit already.

I’d strongly prefer to see the new dev event and an ops event
co-located.  I’m not against regional events, but I’m not sure why
regional events would *replace* the existing event.  We’re not doing
that for any other sort of mid-cycle/meetup/conference are we?

One suggestion regarding the funding and branding: Have the non-summit
dev event and the ops event separately branded but co-located  Have
different tickets, but have them both grant entrance to both events.
Issue different color badges or lanyards if that seems helpful in
having developers and operators find each other.  Ideally the two
events would run concurrently, or substantially overlap.  Something
like Mon-Wed for ops event, Wed-Fri for dev event or vice versa.  You
could have cross project discussions and dedicated ops/dev breakouts
on an overlapping day.  People not interested in the overlapping
sessions could arrive a day late or leave a day early.

One of my very few complaints about the past few summits has been that
the ops and dev events run concurrently.  For example, in Tokyo I had
to choose between going to cross-project design sessions, or going to
the operators session.  I picked the cross-project sessions in most
cases and I felt like that was probably a good choice.  However, on
Friday there was nothing but dev work sessions was scheduled.  Kris
Lindgren put together an informal ops session on that day and we had
40-50 people attend with no prior planning and no official space.  If
the Ops sessions had been at the end of the week instead of the
beginning there would have been less conflicts.

I’ve seen many developers express the opinion that they desperately
want more operator feedback.  Personally I’m not going to be able to
go to a 2 summits, 2 ops events and 2 dev events, and I think most
operators are in the same situation.  If I have to choose, i’m going
to skip the dev events.  I think it needs to be well thought out how
ops and dev combined sessions are going to be run if the split goes
into place.