[openstack-dev] [kolla] unblocking the gate

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Feb 29 07:26:05 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-29 06:59, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> It should be obvious that commiters should be testing their changes, but
> unfortunately this is not always the case.  With the recent state of the
> gate relating to the introduction of Docker 1.10.z breaking the gate
>  for 1 week followed by a keystone change upstream breaking the gate for
> one week, I'd like to make certain the gate stays green.
>
> Jeffrey Zhang resolved the gate with [1].  I'd ask that everyone that
> has a patch in the queue rebase on master and resubmit their changes.

This is not needed, the CI system always rebases if you run tests. To
get current tests, a simple "recheck" is enough.

Also, we test in the gate before merging - again after rebasing to head.
That should take care of not merging anything broken. Running recheck
after a larger change will ensure that you have recent results.

>  The result of that should be a green gate.  If you already have votes
> on your patches and they are rebased, I believe gerrit will leave the
> vote intact.  If not, the core reviewers who reviewed your patch
> originally will be happy to ack a simple rebase on master.
>
> For core reviewers:
> Please do not approve patches that do not pass the gate.  If the gate is
> broken, our priority should be on fixing the gate.  Please wait for
> workflows until the gate is green or a recheck has produced a green
> gate.  I realize our gate isn't perfect, but if its half-red it doesn't
> give developers a good sense of confidence their patch is correct (or
> not correct).  What ends up happening in that scenario is core reviewers
> end up having to pull down every change to personally test it.  We have
> a lot of work queued up, and the gate should provide some level of
> confidence that the change doesn't break things, especially with the
> recent addition of the dead-chicken testing nova boot operation.
>
> When it comes to multinode, we will have to do manual testing, but I'd
> prefer to sort out any breakages during the RCs since manual testing
> won't necessarily test the same merge order as the core reviewers are
> using to manually test multinode.

Andreas