[openstack-dev] [all] audience for release notes

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Sun Feb 28 15:26:36 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2016-02-28 01:09:36 +0800:
> On 02/26/2016 08:34 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > We implemented reno for this cycle to replace the old wiki-based
> > system for writing release notes for deployers, operators, and
> > end-users.
>
> Is the fact that Reno does "git log" when building the docs a solved
> problem? Because from my past experience with Mitaka b1 / b2, any doc
> using reno will refuse to "sphinx-build" in Debian. If it wasn't fixed,
> then I would suggest to *not* use Reno just yet.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

This is part of why we put the release notes document build separate
from the main documentation build (the other reason being so we could
link to something without "developer" in the URL).

The plan is to build setuptools integration into reno so that when
we build our sdists they include a cache file of the data that reno
derives from the git history, so that without git present reno can
use the cache file instead of the git history. That work hasn't
been done yet, because it has not yet been the highest priority
task related to all of the release automation changes we're
implementing, because as I stated above it shouldn't be necessary
to build packages (including documentation) for projects. If we
don't get to it by the end of Mitaka, it will happen early in Newton.

Doug