[openstack-dev] Mitaka, Xenial, OVS Firewall Driver, DPDK, VXLAN and Provider Networks

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 28 10:25:19 UTC 2016

Hi Thiago
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 at 23:58 Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com>
wrote:
[...]

However, I am curious about the following scenarios:

>  Will be possible to use, at the same time (same Network and Compute nodes
> / Host Aggregate):
>
>  1- Regular OVS bridges without DPDK for VXLAN Networks, with
> OVS-Firewall-Driver and;
>
>  2- OVS powered by DPDK for Provider Networks only ( without any firewall,
> current case anyway, due to
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1531205).
>
> ?
>
>  I have NFV Instances that are also, DPDK L2 Bridges running on KVM Guest
> / VirtIO, that are physically wired using Provider Networks (flat and
> vlans).
>
>  So, for the Instance's vNICs (eth1 and eth2) that are used as a L2
> bridge, I don't want any kind of ovs-firewall (I'm not affected by LP
> #1531205 on this case) and I want OVS+DPDK under it but, for SSH into the
> Instance to manage it (via its eth0), it is still using regular VXLAN with
> Security Groups - OVS-Firewall from now on (no need for DPDK under eth0 /
> VXLAN).
>
>  I'm curious about this specially because the OVS Ubuntu package, makes
> use of Debian's Alternatives subsystem, and we need to choose one OVS
> (default), or another (with DPDK), via "update-alternatives", so, will be
> possible to select OVS with DPDK but, use regular bridges with it as well
> (for VXLAN networks)?

We're shipping two binaries due to the baseline CPU requirement for DPDK
being above the general baseline in Ubuntu; the DPDK enabled binary
supports all of the things that the vanilla binary does + DPDK.

>  If yes, how to create a VXLAN network with regular OVS and another
> FLAT/VLAN network with OVS+DPDK ?

Not sure whether a mixed mode openvswitch deployment is possible on a
single compute node - I can see how to switch between netdev and system
based bridges in the agent configuration, but that applies at the agent
level, not to specific bridges.

Cheers

James