[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Feb 26 17:33:25 UTC 2016

On 26/02/16 18:08, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

>> 2. Community split
>>
>> There is fear that the contributor-specific event will separate the
>> community into two groups, with developers skipping the main event and
>> non-developers not providing any feedback to the contributor-specific
>> event.
>
>For those two objections, it's worth noting that there will still be a
>lot of strategic discussions at the main event. That is where we look at
>the N-1 release and start drawing plans and cross-project themes for the
>N+1 release. We don't need every developer there, but we still need a
>significant chunk of them, with every team represented, so that we can
>have those strategic and cross-project discussions.
>
>Therefore I'd expect someone who wants to keep touch with development
>could still make only one trip, and I wouldn't expect the communities to
>be split. We'd still all be represented in the main event.

Is the assumption that the users would be at the summit rather than the contributor-specific sessions ? As there is a lot of sharing going on in the current summit format (it is not just talks on products), I think the cloud consumers/deployers would tend towards the summit.

I think this is my biggest worry that we get to a scenario where we lose the chance for user (be it consumer of clouds or operators) technical discussion with the projects. It certainly does not need all developers to be present but project presentation at a high level is needed to understand the requirements, explain the reasons for design decisions and debate the appropriate improvements.

With the offset of the two event, has an option to locate the operators mid-cycle meetup at the contributor-specific event ?

Tim