[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo majopela at redhat.com
Fri Feb 26 09:44:20 UTC 2016

> On 26 Feb 2016, at 02:38, Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 04:13:56PM +0800, Qiming Teng wrote:
>> Hi, All,
>>
>> After reading through all the +1's and -1's, we realized how difficult
>> it is to come up with a proposal that makes everyone happy. When we are
>> discussing this proposal with some other contributors, we came up with a
>> proposal which is a little bit different. This idea could be very
>> impractical, very naive, given that we don't know much about the huge
>> efforts behind the scheduling, planning, coordination ... etc etc. So,
>> please treat this as a random thought.
>>
>> Maybe we can still have the Summit and the Design Summit colocated, but
>> we can avoid the overlap that has been the source of many troubles. The
>> idea is to have both events scheduled by the end of a release cycle. For
>> example:
>>
>> Week 1:
>>  Wednesday-Friday: 3 days Summit.
>>    * Primarily an event for marketing, sales, CTOs, architects,
>>      operators, journalists, ...
>>    * Contributors can decide whether they want to attend this.
>>  Saturday-Sunday:
>>    * Social activities: contributors meet-up, hang outs ...
>>
>> Week 2:
>>  Monday-Wednesday: 3 days Design Summit
>>    * Primarily an event for developers.
>>    * Operators can hold meetups during these days, or join project
>>      design summits.

A proposal like this one seems much more rational to me,

  * no need for two trips
  * no overlap of the summit/design (I end up running back and forth otherwise)

Otherwise, separating both parts of the summit increases the gap
between engineering and the final OpenStack users/ops. I couldn’t go
to summit-related-events 4 times a year for family reasons. But I like
to have the opportunity to spend some time close to the user/op side
of things to understand how people is using OpenStack, what are they
missing, what are we doing good.

>> If you need to attend both events, you don't need two trips. Scheduling
>> both events by the end of a release cycle can help gather more
>> meaningful feedbacks, experiences or lessons from previous releases and
>> ensure a better plan for the coming release.
>>
>> If you want to attend just the main Summit or only the Design Summit,
>> you can plan your trip accordingly.
>>
>> Thoughts?

I really like it. Not sure how well does it work for others, or from
the organisational point of view.