[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Intra-column wrapping in python-neutronclient

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Thu Feb 25 17:29:18 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Steve Baker <sbaker at redhat.com> wrote:
> My intention was that it be a usability improvement rather than merely an
> aesthetic one. Yes, it is unfortunate that it affects this specific copy
> paste scenario but there are others where it is improved. I've often been in
> the situation where I don't know which uuid to copy because of the amount of
> overlap of unrelated columns.

So, this helps you figure out which which uuid to copy but how do you
copy it when you've found it?  Do you do more than one copy/paste for
each?

>> How can I turned this off now?  Also, can I request that this new
>> "feature" be disabled by default?
>>
> Table resizing only occurs when a tty is present. This means that any
> existing script which parses table output will not be affected. It also
> means that you can disable it by piping your command to cat.

I'd be okay encouraging scripts to use the more script-friendly output
formats as mentioned by Akihiro.  But, I'm not talking about scripts
here.  I'm talking about human interaction.  Copy/paste is a human
interaction.  In my opinion, this change has not improved the
situation.

> If you're unwilling to adapt, or specify formatting options, or pipe to cat,
> then I would recommend that you submit a change to cliff to read a user set
> environment variable to switch off table resizing.

If I am unwilling to adapt, how would that help me?  It requires
adaptation, right?  ;)  In all seriousness, this thread is not about
anyone's willingness to adapt.  It is about whether this is the right
thing to do.  If it is then I'm happy to adapt.  But, I continue to
argue that it isn't the right thing to do.

Carl