[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Intra-column wrapping in python-neutronclient

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hpe.com
Wed Feb 24 17:57:55 UTC 2016

On 02/24/2016 09:46 AM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> cliff-based client including neutronclient and openstackclient
> supports various formatters.
> I don't think it is a good idea to depend on the output of 'table' formatter.
> My understanding is 'table' formatter (the default formatter) is for
> human readability.
> IMHO it is better to use json formatter or value formatter if we need
> to pick up a returned value.
> You can use '-f json' or '-f value -c id' with xxxx-create.

Be that as it may, it is equally bad if not worse to gratuitously (IMO)
change output formats.  Even if it is meant to be "only" human-readable.

And it is arguably the case that this new format is less human-readable
than what was before, even discounting the loss of straight-forward
cut-and-paste.  And I would not discount the importance of
straight-forward cut-and-paste.

rick jones