[openstack-dev] [nova] solving API case sensitivity issues

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Feb 24 12:48:02 UTC 2016

We have a specific bug around aggregrate metadata setting in Nova which
exposes a larger issue with our mysql schema.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1538011

On mysql the following will explode with a 500:

> nova aggregate-create agg1
> nova aggregate-set-metadata agg1 abc=1
> nova aggregate-set-metadata agg1 ABC=2

mysql (by default) treats abc == ABC. However the python code does not.

We have a couple of options:

1) make the API explicitly case fold

2) update the mysql DB to use latin_bin collation for these columns

3) make this a 400 error because duplicates were found

Options 1 & 2 make all OpenStack environments consistent regardless of
backend.

Option 2 is potentially expensive TABLE alter.

Option 3 gets rid of the 500 error, however at the risk that the
behavior for this API is different depending on DB backend. Which is
less than ideal.

My preference is slightly towards #1. It's taken a long time for someone
to report this issue, so I think it's an edge case, and people weren't
think about this being case sensitive. It has the risk of impacting
someone on an odd db platform that has been using that feature.

There are going to be a few other APIs to clean up in a similar way. I
don't think this comes in under a microversion because of how deep in
the db api layer this is, and it's just not viable to keep both paths.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net