[openstack-dev] [oslo] documentation on using the oslo.db opportunistic test feature

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Feb 23 17:54:23 UTC 2016

On 02/23/2016 12:26 PM, Mike Bayer wrote:
<snip>
>> 2 thoughts on that:
>>
>> 1) Being able to do a grant with a prefix like
>>
>> GRANT all on 'openstack_ci%'.* to openstack_citest
>>
>> Then using that prefix in the random db generation. That would at least
>> limit scope. That seems the easiest to do with the existing
>> infrastructure.
>
> a prefix would be very easy, and I almost wonder if we should just have
> an identifiable prefix on the username in all cases anyway.   However,
> the wildcard scheme here is only useful on MySQL.  Other backends don't
> support such a liberal setting.

I think that's ok. We don't need lowest common denominator here. Mysql
(and mysql varients) are the top used db in openstack by far. Making it
easy to build tests for specific bugs / behavior there is a near term
goal. We've got 2 open API bugs in Nova that can't be reproduced on
SQLite in tests, but can with mysql.

And prefixing in all cases would at least make it more clear in case
something failed to cleanup.

[1] -
https://www.openstack.org/assets/survey/Public-User-Survey-Report.pdf -
pg 28