[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] volumes stuck detaching attaching and force detach

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Mon Feb 22 19:24:00 UTC 2016

Hi,

Just came up on IRC, when nova-compute gets killed half way through a
volume attach (i.e. no graceful shutdown), things get stuck in a bad
state, like volumes stuck in the attaching state.

This looks like a new addition to this conversation:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-December/082683.html
And brings us back to this discussion:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-force-detach-to-nova

What if we move our attention towards automatically recovering from
the above issue? I am wondering if we can look at making our usually
recovery code deal with the above situation:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/834b5a9e3a4f8c6ee2e3387845fc24c79f4bf615/nova/compute/manager.py#L934

Did we get the Cinder APIs in place that enable the force-detach? I
think we did and it was this one?
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-cinderclient/+spec/nova-force-detach-needs-cinderclient-api

I think diablo_rojo might be able to help dig for any bugs we have
related to this. I just wanted to get this idea out there before I
head out.

Thanks,
John