[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 16:33:43 UTC 2016

On 02/22/2016 10:14 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> TL;DR: Let's split the events, starting after Barcelona.
>
> Long long version:
>
> In a global and virtual community, high-bandwidth face-to-face time is
> essential. This is why we made the OpenStack Design Summits an integral
> part of our processes from day 0. Those were set at the beginning of
> each of our development cycles to help set goals and organize the work
> for the upcoming 6 months. At the same time and in the same location, a
> more traditional conference was happening, ensuring a lot of interaction
> between the upstream (producers) and downstream (consumers) parts of our
> community.
>
> This setup, however, has a number of issues. For developers first: the
> "conference" part of the common event got bigger and bigger and it is
> difficult to focus on upstream work (and socially bond with your
> teammates) with so much other commitments and distractions. The result
> is that our design summits are a lot less productive than they used to
> be, and we organize other events ("midcycles") to fill our focus and
> small-group socialization needs. The timing of the event (a couple of
> weeks after the previous cycle release) is also suboptimal: it is way
> too late to gather any sort of requirements and priorities for the
> already-started new cycle, and also too late to do any sort of work
> planning (the cycle work started almost 2 months ago).
>
> But it's not just suboptimal for developers. For contributing companies,
> flying all their developers to expensive cities and conference hotels so
> that they can attend the Design Summit is pretty costly, and the goals
> of the summit location (reaching out to users everywhere) do not
> necessarily align with the goals of the Design Summit location (minimize
> and balance travel costs for existing contributors). For the companies
> that build products and distributions on top of the recent release, the
> timing of the common event is not so great either: it is difficult to
> show off products based on the recent release only two weeks after it's
> out. The summit date is also too early to leverage all the users
> attending the summit to gather feedback on the recent release -- not a
> lot of people would have tried upgrades by summit time. Finally a common
> event is also suboptimal for the events organization : finding venues
> that can accommodate both events is becoming increasingly complicated.
>
> Time is ripe for a change. After Tokyo, we at the Foundation have been
> considering options on how to evolve our events to solve those issues.
> This proposal is the result of this work. There is no perfect solution
> here (and this is still work in progress), but we are confident that
> this strawman solution solves a lot more problems than it creates, and
> balances the needs of the various constituents of our community.
>
> The idea would be to split the events. The first event would be for
> [...]

Overall, I really like this proposal. If anything, I would prefer to
have a single main event per year instead of two. I continue to maintain
that OpenStack is the only open source ecosystem I know of that has this
big of a main conference event every six months.

As for naming... I actually think you accidentally hit on a perfect
naming schema for the events:

OpenStack Conference <-- The main event.
OpenStack:How <-- The developer planning event.

:)

-jay