[openstack-dev] [QA][Tempest]Run only multinode tests in multinode jobs

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Feb 22 10:42:36 UTC 2016

Assaf Muller <amuller at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:07:19AM +0100, Jordan Pittier wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>> I understood we need to limit the number of tests and jobs that are run
>>> for
>>> each Tempest patch because our resources are not unlimited.
>>>
>>> In Tempest, we have 5 multinode experimental jobs:
>>>
>>> experimental-tempest-dsvm-multinode-full-dibtest
>>> gate-tempest-dsvm-multinode-full
>>> gate-tempest-dsvm-multinode-live-migration
>>> gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-multinode-full
>>> gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-dvr-multinode-full
>>>
>>> These jobs largely overlap with the non-multinode jobs. What about
>>> tagging
>>> (with a python decorator) each test that really requires multiple nodes
>>> and
>>> only run those tests as part of the multinode jobs ?
>>
>> So I don't think this is wise. I'm fine with adding a tag (or more
>> realistically a new decorator that sets the attr and bakes in the skip
>> checks)
>> to mark tests that require more than 1 node to work. But, limiting all the
>> multinode jobs to just that set doesn't make too much sense to me. For
>> most of
>> those jobs you listed the point is to verify that everything things work
>> the
>> same at >1 node, not just features that require more than 1 node. (with
>> likely
>> the exception of the live-migration job which I assume just runs live
>> migration
>> tests)
>>
>> What is probably a better question to ask is why we need 5 different
>> multi-node
>> jobs in the tempest experimental queue? Tempest will always have a
>> higher than
>> average number of tempest-dsvm jobs running because so much of the code
>> is self
>> verifying. But, do all of those jobs really improve our coverage of
>> tempest
>> code? Like what does the dibtest job buy us? Or why do we need 2 different
>> types of neutron deployments running?
>
> I can't speak for the other three jobs, but these two:
> gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-multinode-full
> gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-dvr-multinode-full
>
> Are both in the check queue and are non-voting. Both are hovering
> around 50% failure rate for a while now. Ihar and Sean (CC'd) are
> working on the non-DVR job, solving issues around MTU.

Not really, we were looking at *grenade* multinode neutron jobs only. And I
think with recent fixes in nova, non-dvr grenade job is fixed, and we
tackled all *gate blocking* MTU issues.

Next step for us is DVR job for grenade. But again, it has nothing to do
with tempest flavours of it.

Ihar