[openstack-dev] [stable][i18n] What is the backport policy on i18n changes?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Feb 22 09:16:45 UTC 2016

Matt Riedemann wrote:
> I don't think we have an official policy for stable backports with
> respect to translatable string changes.
>
> I'm looking at a release request for ironic-inspector on stable/liberty
> [1] and one of the changes in that has translatable string changes to
> user-facing error messages [2].
>
> mrunge brought up this issue in the stable team meeting this week also
> since Horizon has to be extra careful about backporting changes with
> translatable string changes.
>
> I think on the server side, if they are changes that just go in the
> logs, it's not a huge issue. But for user facing changes, should we
> treat those like StringFreeze [3]? Or only if the stable branches for
> the given project aren't getting translation updates? I know the server
> projects (at least nova) is still get translation updates on
> stable/liberty so if we do backport changes with translatable string
> updates, they aren't getting updated in stable. I don't see anything
> like that happening for ironic-inspector on stable/liberty though.
>
> Thoughts?

My take would be, you generally shouldn't change the strings in a stable
branch... Some people might rely on certain patterns in logs and others
might find it funny if a previously-translated string suddenly becomes
untranslated.

Now there can be exceptions, where the value of changing the string
outweighs the value of not changing it (like, the error message itself
was wrong)... but it should really be an exception ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)