[openstack-dev] [swift] zones and partition

Kirubakaran Kaliannan kirubak at zadarastorage.com
Mon Feb 22 03:00:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have 3 ZONEs, with different capacity in each. Say I have 4 X 1TB disk
 (r0z1 - 1TB, r0z2 - 1TB,r0 z3 - 2TB ).

The ring builder (rebalance code), keep ¼-partitions of all 3 replica in
Zone-3. This is the current default  behavior from the rebalance code.

This puts pressure to the storage user to evenly increase the storage
capacity across the zones. Is this is the correct understanding I have ?

If so, Why have we chosen this approach, rather cant we enforce zone based
partition (but the partition size on Z1 and Z2 may be lesser than Z3) ?

This makes sure we have 100% zone level protection and not loss of data on
1 zone failure ?

Thanks,

-kiru