[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][upgrade] Grenade multinode partial upgrade - Nova metadata failure

Vasudevan, Swaminathan (PNB Roseville) swaminathan.vasudevan at hpe.com
Fri Feb 19 17:48:29 UTC 2016

Hi Folks,
Great Job!

Thanks
Swami

From: Armando M. [mailto:armamig at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2016 9:07 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][upgrade] Grenade multinode partial upgrade - Nova metadata failure

On 19 February 2016 at 04:43, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net<mailto:sean at dague.net>> wrote:
On 02/18/2016 09:50 PM, Armando M. wrote:

> On 18 February 2016 at 08:41, Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com<mailto:sean at coreitpro.com>
> <mailto:sean at coreitpro.com<mailto:sean at coreitpro.com>>> wrote:
>
>     This week's update:
>
>     Armando was kind enough to take a look[1], since he's got a fresh
>     perspective. I think I've been suffering from Target Fixation[1]
>     where I failed to notice a couple other failures in the logs.
>

> It's been fun, and I am glad I was able to help. Once I validated the
> root cause of the metadata failure [1], I got run [2] and a clean pass
> in [3] :)
>
> There are still a few things to iron out, ie. choosing metadata over
> config-drive, testing both in the gate etc. But that's for another day.
>
> Cheers,
> Armando
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1545101/comments/4
> [2] http://logs.openstack.org/00/281600/6/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/40e16c8/
> [3] http://logs.openstack.org/00/281600/6/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/40e16c8/logs/testr_results.html.gz

I want to thank everyone that's been working on this issue profusely.
This exposed a release critical bug in Nova that we would not have
caught otherwise. Finding that before milestone 3 is a huge win and
gives us a lot more options in fixing it correctly.

I think we've got the proper fix now -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/279721/ (fingers crossed). The metadata
server is one of the least tested components we've got on the Nova side,
so I'll be looking at ways to fix that problem and hopefully avoid
situations like this again.

Now that the blocking issue has been identified, I filed project-config change [1] to enable us to test the Neutron Grenade multinode more thoroughly.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/282428/

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague