[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Wildcards instead of

Bulat Gaifullin bgaifullin at mirantis.com
Fri Feb 19 14:22:01 UTC 2016

> On 19 Feb 2016, at 17:09, Igor Kalnitsky <ikalnitsky at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
> Kyrylo G. wrote:
>> So who is voting for the path to be abandoned?
>
> I vote to abandon it. Let's do not break existing plugins, and do not
> add *undo* tasks for plugin developers. If they want to configure
> network, they'll ask it explicitly.
>

> Kyrylo G. wrote:
>> By the way, there is already a task running by the wildcard:
>> https://github.com/openstack/fuel-library/blob/master/deployment/puppet/osnailyfacter/modular/fuel_pkgs/tasks.yaml#L4
>
> Yes, exactly, but the thing is that our original task for setuping
> repos was executed on all nodes before, including ones provided by
> plugins. Making it executing on core nodes only may break plugins that
> rely on it. So generally, it's about backward compatibility.
>

> Bulat G. wrote:
>> This tasks should run on all nodes and it does not matter, the node
>> has role from plugin or core-role.
>
> Nope, they shouldn't. Why do I need to install the following packages
>
>  'screen',
>  'tmux',
>  'htop',
>  'tcpdump',
>  'strace',
>  'fuel-misc',
>  'man-db',
>  'fuel-misc',
>  'fuel-ha’

It is big problem?

> if I have no plans to use them? As a deployer engineer, I'd prefer to
> keep my role as clear as possible, and decide what to install in my
> own way.

IMO: The plugin developer wants to install additional applications to extend functionality, It do not want configure low-level things, like specify some banch of task for configure network, configure repositories etc.
How can we manage new node if network is not configured or fuel-agent is not installed?