[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] network question and documentation

Major Hayden major at mhtx.net
Fri Feb 19 13:20:00 UTC 2016

On 02/17/2016 09:00 AM, Fabrice Grelaud wrote:
> So, i would like to know if i'm going in the right direction.
> We want to use both, existing vlan from our existing physical architecture inside openstack (vlan provider) and "private tenant network" with IP floating offer (from a flat network).
>
> My question is about switch configuration:
>
> On Bond0:
> the switch port connected to bond0 need to be configured as trunks with:
> - the host management network (vlan untagged but can be tagged ?)
> - container(mngt) network (vlan-container)
> - storage network (vlan-storage)
>
> On Bond1:
> the switch port connected to bond1 need to be configured as trunks with:
> - vxlan network (vlan-vxlan)
> - vlan X (existing vlan in our existing network infra)
> - vlan Y (existing vlan in our existing network infra)
>
> Is that right ?

You have a good plan here, Fabrice.  Although I don't have bonding configured in my own production environment, I'm doing much the same as you are with individual network interfaces.

> And do i have to define a new network (a new vlan, flat network) that offer floatting IP for private tenant (not using existing vlan X or Y)? Is that new vlan have to be connected to bond1 and/or bond0 ?
> Is that host management network could play this role ?

You *could* use the host management network as your floating IP pool network, but you'd need to create a flat network in OpenStack for that (unless your host management network is tagged).  I prefer to use a specific VLAN for those public-facing, floating IP addresses.  You'll need routers between your internal networks and that floating IP VLAN to make the floating IP addresses work (if I remember correctly).

> ps: otherwise, about the documentation, for great understanding and perhaps consistency
> In Github (https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible), in the file openstack_interface.cfg.example, you point out that for br-vxlan and br-storage, "only compute node have an IP on this bridge. When used by infra nodes, IPs exist in the containers and inet should be set to manual".
>
> I think it will be good (but i may be wrong ;-) ) that in chapter 3 of the "install guide: configuring the network on target host", you propose the /etc/network/interfaces for both controller node (br-vxlan, br-storage: manual without IP) and compute node (br-vxlan, br-storage: static with IP).

That makes sense.  Would you be able to open a bug for us?  I'll be glad to help you write some documentation if you're interested in learning that process.

Our bug tracker is here in LaunchPad:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ansible

--
Major Hayden