[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Feb 19 00:52:06 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-18 17:20:35 -0600 (-0600), Ian Cordasco wrote:
[...]
> Presently, I think we need a F/OSS CDN but it isn't going to
> happen until the infrastructure for a CDN is something any
> OpenStack consumer would want to manage.
[...]

Probably an unusual use case and stretching the definition of CDN:
the Infra team has rolled their own by putting Apache on virtual
machines serving content from AFS for the purpose of hosting a
variety of content mirrors in each of the myriad OpenStack
providers/regions where it runs CI jobs. It may be that the
infrastructure for a CDN is in fact something that a lot of
multi-region/cross-provider applications would like to manage but
that their needs are sufficiently different so as to make a targeted
solution for one useless for another.

Ignorance on my part I'm sure, but I'd like to see a definition of
"content delivery network" that people can agree on before figuring
out what Poppy even is. I've browsed its documentation and it
doesn't seem to actually define this, so I get the impression that
its entire existence is defined and informed solely by other
proprietary application designs.
--
Jeremy Stanley