[openstack-dev] [oslo] upgrade implications of lots of content in paste.ini

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 18:21:37 UTC 2016

On 02/18/2016 12:17 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
> Clarifying:
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:32 AM Sean Dague <sean at dague.net
> <mailto:sean at dague.net>> wrote:
>
>     Ok, to make sure we all ended up on the same page at the end of this
>     discussion, this is what I think I heard.
>
>     1) oslo.config is about to release with a feature that will make
>     adding
>     config to paste.ini not needed (i.e.
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/265415/ is no longer needed).
>

> I will need help to do this. More below.
>
>     2) ideally the cors middleware will have sane defaults for that set of
>     headers in oslo.config.
>

> I'd like to make sure we agree on what "Sane defaults" means here. By
> design, the CORS middleware is generic, and only explicitly includes
> the headers prescribed in the w3c spec.  It should not include any
> additional headers, for reasons of downstream non-openstack consumers.
>
>     3) projects should be able to apply new defaults for these options in
>     their codebase through a default override process (that is now nicely
>     documented somewhere... url?)
>

> New sample defaults for the generated configuration files, they should
> not live anywhere else. The CORS middleware should, if we go this
> path, be little more than a true-to-spec implementation, with config
> files that extend it for the appropriate API.
So, I think we need to treat CORS as experimental for the time being
anyway.  When I last looked in to it, we really needed Service catalog
integration to avoid being too permissive:

As I understand it, the CORS middleware as it is currently written does
not limit what other application would be able to read the data back
from a POST operation.

Any Application can make a subset of calls to Keystone, but we don't
want any but a "blessed" application able to read the tokens.  We have a
hard coded check for this to support Federation already. This pattern
needs to extend to any Application trusted to get and read a Keystone token.