[openstack-dev] [cinder] adding a new /v3 endpoint for api-microversions

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Feb 18 16:30:08 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 03:38:39PM +0000, D'Angelo, Scott wrote:
> Cinder team is proposing to add support for API microversions [1]. It came up at our mid-cycle that we should add a new /v3 endpoint [2]. Discussions on IRC have raised questions about this [3]
>
> Please weigh in on the design decision to add a new /v3 endpoint for Cinder for clients to use when they wish to have api-microversions.
>
> PRO add new /v3 endpoint: A client should not ask for new-behaviour against old /v2 endpoint, because that might hit an old pre-microversion (i.e. Liberty) server, and that server might carry on with old behaviour. The client would not know this without checking, and so strange things happen silently.

The concern here is that not only could "strange things happen
silently". Even if the client is checking the response for reported
microversion support, by the time it realizes it's talking to a server
that does not understand microversions, the request could have caused
something to happen that it can't easily recover from.