[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] network question and documentation

Fabrice Grelaud fabrice.grelaud at u-bordeaux.fr
Wed Feb 17 15:00:04 UTC 2016

Hi,

after a first test architecture of openstack (juno then upgrade to kilo), installed from scratch, and because we use Ansible in our organization, we decided to deploy our next openstack generation architecture from the project openstack-ansible.

I studied your documentation (very good work and very appreciate, http://docs.openstack.org/developer/openstack-ansible/[kilo|liberty]/install-guide/index.html) and i will need some more clarification compared to network architecture.

I'm not sure to be on the good mailing-list because it 's dev oriented here, for all that, i fear my request to be embedded in the openstack overall list, because it's very specific to the architecture proposed by your project (bond0 (br-mngt, br-storage), bond1 (br-vxlan, br-vlan)).

I'm sorry about that if that is the case...

So, i would like to know if i'm going in the right direction.
We want to use both, existing vlan from our existing physical architecture inside openstack (vlan provider) and "private tenant network" with IP floating offer (from a flat network).

My question is about switch configuration:

On Bond0:
the switch port connected to bond0 need to be configured as trunks with:
- the host management network (vlan untagged but can be tagged ?)
- container(mngt) network (vlan-container)
- storage network (vlan-storage)

On Bond1:
the switch port connected to bond1 need to be configured as trunks with:
- vxlan network (vlan-vxlan)
- vlan X (existing vlan in our existing network infra)
- vlan Y (existing vlan in our existing network infra)

Is that right ?

And do i have to define a new network (a new vlan, flat network) that offer floatting IP for private tenant (not using existing vlan X or Y)? Is that new vlan have to be connected to bond1 and/or bond0 ?
Is that host management network could play this role ?

Thank you to consider my request.
Regards

ps: otherwise, about the documentation, for great understanding and perhaps consistency
In Github (https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible), in the file openstack_interface.cfg.example, you point out that for br-vxlan and br-storage, "only compute node have an IP on this bridge. When used by infra nodes, IPs exist in the containers and inet should be set to manual".

I think it will be good (but i may be wrong ;-) ) that in chapter 3 of the "install guide: configuring the network on target host", you propose the /etc/network/interfaces for both controller node (br-vxlan, br-storage: manual without IP) and compute node (br-vxlan, br-storage: static with IP).

Fabrice GRELAUD
Université de Bordeaux