[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] New BP for live migration with direct pci passthru

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Tue Feb 16 19:24:08 UTC 2016

In general, while you've applied this to networking (and it's not the first
time I've seen this proposal), the same technique will work with any device
- PF or VF, networking or other:

- notify the VM via an accepted channel that a device is going to be
temporarily removed
- remove the device
- migrate the VM
- notify the VM that the device is going to be returned
- reattach the device

Note that, in the above, I've not used said 'PF', 'VF', 'NIC' or 'qemu'.

You would need to document what assumptions the guest is going to make (the
reason I mention this is I think it's safe to assume the device has been
recently reset here, but for a network device you might want to consider
whether the device will have the same MAC address or number of tx and rx
buffers, for instance).

The method of notification I've deliberately skipped here; you have an
answer for qemu, qemu is not the only hypervisor in the world so this will
clearly be variable.  A metadata server mechanism is another possibility.

Half of what you've described is one model of how the VM might choose to
deal with that (and a suggestion that's come up before, in fact) - that's a
model we would absolutely want Openstack to support (and I think the above
is sufficient to support it), but we can't easily mandate how VMs behave,
so from the Openstack perspective it's more a recommendation than anything
we can code up.