[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Tue Feb 16 19:10:42 UTC 2016

Thomas Goirand wrote:
> s/I dislike/is not free software/ [*]
>
> It's not a mater of taste. Having Poppy requiring a non-free component,
> even indirectly (ie: the Oracle JVM that CassandraDB needs), makes it
> non-free.

Your definition of non-free versus free, if I am not mistaken, is
based on GPLv3. OpenStack is not GPL licensed

I understand and respect the point of view of the Debian project on
this, however OpenStack is an Apache licensed project. So, this is
entirely your bikeshed.

> Ensuring we really only accept free software is not a bikeshed color
> discussion, it is really important. And that's the same topic as using
> non-free CDN solution (see below).

It is a bikeshed, because you are injecting a debate over the freedoms of
Apache license vs. GPLv3 into this discussion. Which you do, on many
occasions. I respect this, but at some point it does hijack the original
intent of the thread. Which is now happening.

--
Sean M. Collins