[openstack-dev] [Nova] Should we signal backwards incompatible changes in microversions?

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 18:13:34 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Andrew Laski <andrew at lascii.com> wrote:

>  It's easy enough to think that users will just read the docs and
> carefully consider every version increment that they want to consume but
> when they've been on version 2.7 for a while and a new thing comes out in
> 2.35 that they want they need to fully digest the implications of all 27
> intervening versions purely through docs and with the understanding that
> literally almost anything about the semantics can have changed. So while I
> love the freedom that it provides to developers I think it would be useful
> to have a small set of constraints in place that helps users. Of course all
> of my ideas have been duds so far and perhaps that's because I'm imagining
> future scenarios that won't come to pass or that we don't care about. But
> something has me concerned and I can't quite get my finger on it.

Contrived example alert:

API version 2.10 adds a pile of parameters to POST /foo/.
API version 2.35 fixes a problem in GET /bar/details.

As a client, I might need the 2.35 fix before I have finished implementing
the big new feature in 2.10 (and intervening) changes.  The clients will
then use the GLOBAL_API_VERSION=2.7 as a default and use a local 2.35
version for the /bar requests.

This may get fun to manage over time, but allows the client to opt-in to
new API features without having to swallow the entire thing.  It also
increases the pressure to make sure the docs are up to snuff for each
specific API bump.

dt

--

Dean Troyer