[openstack-dev] How are consumers/operators new to openstack supposed to know about upper-constraints?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Feb 16 15:30:20 UTC 2016

We have a team just upgrading to Liberty and they are having problems.
While running down their list of packages they are using, I noticed they
have os-brick 0.8.0 which is the latest version (from mitaka).

However, os-brick in stable/liberty upper-constraints is at 0.6.0 [1].

So while I don't think their immediate problems are due to using an
untested version of os-brick on stable/liberty, they are obviously just
picking up the latest versions of dependencies because they aren't
capped in requirements.  That could eventually bite them because there
are things that don't work together in liberty depending on what
versions you have [2].

My main question is, how are we expecting consumers/deployers of
openstack to know about the upper-constraints file?  Where is that
advertised in the manuals?

There is nothing in the Liberty release notes [3].

I'm sure there is probably something in the openstack/requirements repo
devref, but I wouldn't expect a deployer to know that repo exists let
alone to go off and read it's docs and understand how it applies to them
(a lot of openstack developers probably don't know about the reqs repo
or what it does).

Does the operator community have any tips or know something that I
don't?  I think ops people that have been around awhile are just aware
because it's been coming for a few releases now so they are aware of the
magical unicorn and have sought out info on it, but what about new
deployments?

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/0e8a4136b4e9e91293d46b99879c966e3bddd9bd/upper-constraints.txt#L181
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.service/+bug/1529594