[openstack-dev] [Nova] Should we signal backwards incompatible changes in microversions?

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Tue Feb 16 08:30:14 UTC 2016

Le 16/02/2016 04:09, Alex Xu a écrit :

> [...]
>     order of
>     > patch merge. For support 2.x.y, we need bump 'y' first for
>     back-compatible
>     > changes I guess.
>     >
>     > As I remember, we said before, the new feature is the motivation
>     of user
>     > upgrade their client to support new version API, whatever the
>     new version is
>     > backward compatible or incompatible. So I guess the initial
>     thinking we hope
>     > user always upgrade their code than always stop at old version?
>     If we bump
>     > 'x' after a lot of 'y', will that lead to user always stop at
>     'x' version?
>     > And the evolution of api will slow down.
>     >
>     > Or we limit to each release cycle. In each release, we bump 'y'
>     first, and
>     > then bump 'x'. Even there isn't any back-incompatible change in
>     the release.
>     > We still bump 'x' when released. Then we can encourage user
>     upgrade their
>     > code. But I still think the back-incompatible API change will be
>     slow down
>     > in development, as it need always merged after back-compatible
>     API change
>     > patches.
>
>     Yea that true and will be more complicated from development
>     perspective which leads to slow down the evolution of API changes.
>     But if we support x.y then still we can change x at any time back
>     in-comp changes happens(i mean before y also)? Or I may not be getting
>     the issue you mentioned about always bump y before x.
>

> If the back-incompatible change merged before back-compatible change,
> then 'y' become useless. For example, the initial version is 2.1.0,
> then we have 3 back-comp and 3 in-comp changes, and we are unlucky,
> in-comp changes merged first, then we get version 2.4.3, then if user
> want to use those back-comp changes, it still need upgrade those 3
> in-comp changes.
>

>     I like the idea of distinguish the backward comp and in-comp changes
>     with x and y which always gives clear perspective about changes.
>     But it should not lead users to ignore y. I mean some backward comp
>     changes which are really good gets ignored by users as they start look
>     at the x only.
>     For example- "adding attribute in resource representation" is back
>     comp change (if so) and if that is added as y then, it might get
>     ignored by users.
>
>     Another way to clearly distinguish backward comp and in-comp changes
>     is through documentation which was initially discussed during
>     microversion specs. Currently doc has good description about each
>     changes but not much clear way about backward comp or not.
>     Which we can do by adding a clear flag [Backward Compatible/
>     Incompatible] for each version in doc [1]-
>

> +1 for doc the change is backward comp or not.

I'm not usually good at thinking API references, but something pinged my
brain so lemme know if that's terrible or not.
Why not semantically say that :
  - if the API microversion is a ten, then it's a non-backwards
compatible change
  - if not, it's backwards-compatible

If you are like with the version #29 and add a new backwards-compatible
version, then it would be #31 (and not #30).

That way, you would still have a monotonic increase, which I think was
an agreement when discussing about microversioning, but it would help
the users which would know the semantics and just look whether a ten is
between the version they use and the version they want (and if so, if it
was implemented).

Call me dumb, it's just a thought.
-Sylvain