[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Proposal: Separate design summits from OpenStack conferences

Henry Nash henrynash9 at mac.com
Sun Feb 14 09:54:25 UTC 2016

On 14 Feb 2016, at 09:53, Henry Nash <henrynash9 at me.com> wrote:

> On 13 Feb 2016, at 03:06, Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com <mailto:ayoung at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> On 02/12/2016 06:17 AM, Eoghan Glynn wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> tl;dr
>>> =====
>>>
>>> I have long thought that the OpenStack Summits have become too
>>> commercial and provide little value to the software engineers
>>> contributing to OpenStack.
>>>
>>> I propose the following:
>>>
>>> 1) Separate the design summits from the conferences
>>> 2) Hold only a single OpenStack conference per year
>>> 3) Return the design summit to being a low-key, low-cost working event
> I think you would hurt developer attendance.  I think the unified design summit sneaks under the radar of many companies that will send people to the conference but might not send them to a design-only summit.
>
> I know a lot of people at smaller companies especially have to do double duty. I'm at a larger company and I have to do double duty, booth and design.  Sometimes my talks get accepted, too.
>
> I think the combined summit works.  I would not want to have to travel any more than I do now.
>
> I think the idea of more developer-specific socializing would be great.  Downtime is also a good thing, and having the socializing in venues that don;t involve shouting and going hoarse would be a plus in my book.
>

> TBH, after a day of summit, I am often ready to just disappear for a while, or go out with a small group of friends.  I tend to avoid the large parties.
>
> That said, the Saxophone is coming to Austin, and I plan on trying to get an informal jam session together with anyone that has an instrument...and we'll see if we can find a piano.

I tend to agree with Adam here - formally splitting the two summits would hurt the overall community. The reality of travel budgets in companies large and small is that (especially for people working their way up the ranks) al lot of justification is always going to be required. In reality, for many openstack projects, there are actually 4 “summits” a year already - made up of two conferences and two mid-cycles. I actually find the mid cycles more productive from a pure developer point of view, but the integration of developers and users at conferences provides a valuable, yet different experience. We can engage more user/operator input (since they are there) into the sessions at the conferences (and hence would agree with other proposals to maybe schedule the user/operator portions in a better way so we enhance their feedback into the developer community sessions).