[openstack-dev] [all] tenant vs. project

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Sat Feb 13 02:04:04 UTC 2016

The problem I've run into though, is project is very well defined in a lot of users minds, and its not defined the same way openstack typically uses it. A lot of sites use project in a way that more closely maps to a keystone domain. Though that gets even muddier with keystone subprojects and domains all kind of merging together. Some other folks define projects closer to keystone groups. A single "project" may have permissions on multiple openstack projects.

Tenant as a term was much easier for me to teach users. Since they don't have a predefined notion of what it is. And get the notion that like a multitenant building, it gives them their own space in the greater building. IE, the "Foo" project has access to these 3 openstack "tenants"

Thanks,
Kevin