[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] How would nova microversion get-me-a-network in the API?

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Fri Feb 12 21:15:30 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016, at 04:03 PM, Doug Wiegley wrote:
> Correct me if I’m wrong, but with nova-net, ‘nova boot’ automatically
> gives it one nic with an IP, right?
>
> So how is this changing that behavior? Making it harder to use, for the
> sake of preserving a really unusual corner case (no net with neutron),
> seems a much worse user experience here.

I was just going off of the behavior Matt described, that it was
possible to boot with no network by leaving that out of the request. If
the behavior already differs based on what networking backend is in use
then we've put users in a bad spot, and IMO furthers my case for having
explicit parameters in the request. I'm really not seeing how "--nic
auto|none" is any harder than leaving all network related parameters off
of the boot request, and it avoids potential confusion as to what will
happen.