[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] How would nova microversion get-me-a-network in the API?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Feb 12 20:11:30 UTC 2016

On 02/12/2016 02:19 PM, Andrew Laski wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016, at 01:45 PM, John Garbutt wrote:

>>> I think a flag like this is the right approach. If it's currently valid
>>> to boot an instance without a network than there needs to be something
>>> to distinguish a request that wants a network created vs. a request that
>>> doesn't want a network.
>>>
>>> This is still hugely useful if all that's required from a user is to
>>> indicate that they would like a network, they still don't need to
>>> understand/provide details of the network.
>>
>> I was thinking a sort of opposite. Would this work?
>>
>> We add a new micro-version that does this:
>> * nothing specified: do the best we can to get a port created
>> (get-me-a-network, etc,), or fail if not possible
>> * --no-nics option (or similar) that says "please don't give me any nics"
>>
>> This means folks that don't want a network, reliably have a way to do
>> that. For everyone else, we do the same thing when using either
>> neutron or nova-network VLAN manager.
>
> I think this pushes our microversions meaning a bit further than
> intended. I don't think the API should flip behaviors simply based on a
> microversion.
>
> What about requiring nic information with the microversion? Make users
> indicate explicitly if they want a network or not and avoid changing a
> default behavior.

I think changing default behavior like that is totally within bounds,
and was part of the original design point of microversions (and why you
have to opt into them). So people that don't want a network that go past
that boundary know to start saying "hands-off".

I think if the point of the experience for this API is to be working out
of the box. So I very much like the idea of a defaults change here to
the thing we want to be easy. And an explicit option to disable it if
you want to do something more complicated.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net