[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Proposal: Separate design summits from OpenStack conferences

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Fri Feb 12 14:17:12 UTC 2016

On 12/02/16 07:45 AM, Eoghan Glynn wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>    * much of the problem with the lavish parties is IMO related to the
>>>      *exclusivity* of certain shindigs, as opposed to devs socializing at
>>>      summit being inappropriate per se. In that vein, I think the cores
>>>      party sends the wrong message and has run its course, while the TC
>>>      dinner ... well, maybe Austin is the time to show some leadership
>>>      on that? ;)
>> Well, Tokyo was the time to show some leadership on that -- there was no
>> "TC dinner" there :)
> Excellent, that is/was indeed a positive step :)
>
> For the cores party, much as I enjoyed the First Nation cuisine in Vancouver
> or the performance art in Tokyo, IMO it's probably time to draw a line under
> that excess also, as it too projects a notion of exclusivity that runs counter
> to building a community.

... first nation cuisine? you know that's not really what Canadian's
eat? /me sips on maple syrup and chows on some beavertail.

i went to the HK core party, it was nice. that said, i agree that the
core party is not needed -- our egos are big enough already.

(apologies to those who never have been to core party)

cheers,

--
gord