[openstack-dev] [neutron] [ipam] Migration to pluggable IPAM

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Thu Feb 11 18:53:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Salvatore Orlando
<salv.orlando at gmail.com> wrote:
> The difference lies in the process in my opinion.
> If the switch is added into the migration path then we will tell operators
> when to switch.
> I was suggesting doing it manual because we just don't know if every
> operator is happy about doing the switch when upgrading to Newton, but
> perhaps it is just me over-worrying about operator behaviour.

I think this is the point that makes this discussion worth having.  It
does help me to hear you state this concern in this way.  I'd like to
hear/read some other opinions.

> The other aspect is the deprecation process. If you add the switch into the
> DB migration path then the whole deprecation becomes superseded as the old
> IPAM logic should be abandoned immediately after that. But perhaps the other
> way of looking at it is that we should make an exception in the deprecation
> process.

I agree.  If we do decide that we force the switch then we should
immediately abandon the old code.  However, I don't this should drive
the decision to do the switch with the migration.

Carl